Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Promise of Hope

But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel, whose origins are in the distant past, will come from you on my behalf.
Micah 5:2 NLT

Day Four, counting down the Advent. When my children were growing up, I purposed that I would never promise them anything that I wouldn't be able to follow through with. I wanted them to know that if I promised, it was going to happen. 

My youngest caught on at an early age that my yes was yes and my no was no. On several occasions, he said, "Don't say 'no', Mama, say 'we'll see'." He knew there was a glimmer of hope in a 'we'll see'.

I love the light in a child's eyes when hope is shining through, especially around holidays and birthdays. There's the expectation of something good about to happen.

Our Promise for Today - announcing the birthplace of our Messiah - was given 700 years before the birth of Christ, and in Ephesians 1:4, we're told God chose us through Christ before the foundations of the world. He gave us His Word - His promises - long, long ago. And He has made good on all of them.

Numbers 23:19 assures us, God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? I believe our heavenly Father loves the light of hope in His children's eyes because He has given us so much more than a glimmer of hope. He has given us His promise of hope. 

Prayer:

Father,
           Thank You for Your Word. Thank You for fulfilling the promises through Your Son for our salvation and redemption. Thank You for the Light of the world. Let His light shine through us for all the world to see and be drawn to You. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment