Sunday, August 25, 2024

REMINDER - Stand Up or Fall

[ Judgment for Disobedience ] “My people bend their tongues like bows to shoot out lies. They refuse to stand up for the truth. They only go from bad to worse. They do not know me,” says the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:3 NLT

At the end of August, I'm thinking about Fall. It's my favorite season. However, in Texas, we don't really call it Fall. Here it's known as Lesser Summer... and we are grateful for it. Although lately there hasn't been anything "lesser" about the temperatures.

Nevertheless, people love to mark the seasons. In the U.S., Fall is most appreciated on the East Coast and in the Midwest. The trees are extraordinary with colors you have to see to believe. The photographs - no matter how good they are - just can't quite capture the first-hand experience. It is worth every penny to make that trip at least once in your lifetime.

As the news was abuzz with the change of seasons, I just kept thinking about Fall, which led me to think about The Fall. You know, Mankind's Fall. There's an old song from the 80's we used to sing that part of the lyric is: "If you don't stand up for what is right, you're going to fall for anything." As I contemplated that line, I realized the depth of the Truth in it.

When we make a stand for or against something, there is a determination in our stance. Our feet are planted more squarely, our body braced, our muscles tensed for action to combat the opposition. If we don't stand up for what we know to be right - what we know to be Truth - then we have no courage or strength born of conviction to withstand the onslaught against us and we will fall... again.

I love Ephesians 6:13-14a in the King James or the New King James: "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth..." 

We will not fall if we take up the whole armor of God.

It's our choice: Stand up or fall.

Prayer:

Father,
           I don't want to be knocked down to make me look up. I look to You now for strength born of conviction to walk in Your Truth. We know Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life and we want to follow Him and worship You in Truth. Help us, Father. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment