Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Remembering - Mom Died 28 Years Ago Today

And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died. We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. So encourage each other with these words.
1st Thessalonians 4:13-18 NLT

Yes, my mother died 28 years ago on this date. Sometimes, it seems like forever. Other times, like it was just yesterday. I wrote this promise a couple years ago, but want to post it again in honor of Mom who introduced me to Jesus.

I have been remembering moments in time of my mother and my two brothers, of babies who have gone to Heaven without ever having drawn one breath here on Earth, of beloved friends who died from diseases that ravaged their bodies but could not destroy their souls. I remember marvelous moments of joy and laughter, as well as those of heartbreak and grief. And I remember God's comfort through it all.

I remember as children, my siblings and I cleared the table, washed and dried dishes, and swept the kitchen floor, as our mother played hymns on the piano, encouraging us to sing rather than squabble over who was doing what task. I remember that some nights, we touched Heaven with the harmony of those old songs. It was palpable. At that time, I didn't know it was the presence of God inhabiting the praises of His children, but I knew I could feel something deep inside my soul.

As a young teen, I ran from God and it wasn't until my late twenties - desperate for my broken heart to be healed and longing for the peace that they wrote about in the Bible - that I returned to the God who promised that and so much more. And I returned to the music that soothed my soul.

I remember sitting by our mother's bed, singing to her, and years later, by my oldest brother's bedside, holding his hand and singing softly to him in the middle of the night, as his spirit hovered between life and death, and I witnessed the peace of God's presence soothe as only He can. I remember...

And on those days that seem darker because the light that was their lives is no longer around me, I remember these words from 1st Thessalonians. "And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope... First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.
So encourage each other with these words."


Prayer:

Father,
           Thank You for remembering us and our frailty as humans. Thank You for providing everything we need to thrive in this life You have given us. Thank You that we have hope and our hope is in You. You are the same yesterday, today, and forever. You do not change. You are straight and true. Your Word does not fail. Strengthen us, Father, so that we may help others and encourage each other with Your Words. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment