Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Hundred to One

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say, “They share freely and give generously to the poor. Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”
2nd Corinthians 9:7-9 NLT

Here's how the story goes:
A well-worn one-dollar bill and a similarly distressed one-hundred-dollar bill arrived at a Federal Reserve Bank to be retired. As they moved along the conveyor belt to be burned, they struck up a conversation. The hundred-dollar bill reminisced about its travels all over the country.

"I've had a pretty good life," the hundred proclaimed. "I've been to Las Vegas and Atlantic City, New Orleans and San Francisco, the finest restaurants in New York, performances on Broadway, and even a cruise to the Caribbean."

"Wow!" said the one-dollar bill. "You've really had an exciting life!"

"So, tell me," says the hundred, "Where have you been throughout your lifetime?"

The one-dollar bill replies, "Oh, I've been to the Methodist Church, the Baptist Church, the Lutheran Church..."

"Wait! Wait!" The hundred-dollar bill interrupts, "What's a church?"
Well, we all chuckle, but sadly, if money really talked, this conversation could very likely have taken place! Relax! I'm not here to take an offering or beg. But I would like to remind you that tithing and giving are part of a covenant relationship, and according to Malachi 3:10, we are to "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!"

I have come to learn that the giving principle works in every area of life and that receiving isn't all about the bucks. If I sow my time by volunteering or helping a friend, invariably, I wind up with enough time for what's on my schedule and some to spare to do it again. If I sow kindness, I will receive kindness in great measure. If I sow love, I reap it in bundles too large and overwhelming to comprehend. If I sow mercy and/or grace, I will get it abundantly in return...and I need it. And when He sees I need some more of any of it, He pours out! Scripture reads, "Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands."

I don't know about you, but I don't want the representation of the life that precedes me to Heaven to be a one-dollar bill equivalent. I want to pour it out and give it my all. That's what Jesus did AND still does!

Prayer:

Father,
           Help us to see the beauty of Your majesty, to receive Your great love for us and to us through others. Teach us to give ALL, just as You gave all for us. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment