Thursday, October 10, 2013

Work At It +

Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.
Hebrews 12:12-15 NLT

On occasion, I have thought I should have become a nun in a convent where they take vows of silence and then I might have stood half a chance of living in peace with everyone. I'm reminded of the comedian who said, "I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." 

I used to think living a holy life was the hardest thing in the world to do. Don't take that wrong - in NO way, do I mean to imply that I don't think it still is difficult - I just think that living in peace with everyone is just as hard. I don't mean "pretend peace" - where no one is fighting or having words because no one cares enough to say anything. I'm talking about peace that passes understanding. The kind where - in your flesh - you'd really like to smack 'em, but the peace of God overshadows you and you realize there's a reason behind that person being a horse's patoot and compassion floods your spirit and you are compelled to pray for them with a love that you know was born of God... You know what I'm talking about. Yes, I have had days where I experienced that kind of peace... unfortunately, today wasn't one of them.

It started with the dog not appreciating the snooze alarm. I guess he didn't think he should have to wait another 9 minutes to go outside. Later, when I went to open the door on my car, I forgot to unlock it first, and actually pulled the outside handle out of the door. I suppose I should have been thankful that going to the gym is paying off, but I have to admit that it's taken me every bit of the 16 hours since it happened for the thought to even cross my mind about giving thanks. When I got to the gym, the pool heater wasn't working right. It should have cooled me off... literally, it really should have...

Colossians 3:12-15 reads, Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

But God... No buts. He sent His Son to shed His blood for the forgiveness of our sins. If there was never going to be a need for forgiveness, Christ wouldn't have come. He knew it would not be easy. He encouraged us through His Word. He said, Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life...

Work at it... and always be thankful.

Prayer:

Father,
          Thank You for today and for Your awesome presence of mercy and grace. Thank You for loving me enough to correct me. Please continue to do so, Father. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment