Tuesday, October 15, 2013

* Strength to Fight

Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses. And I charge you before God, who gives life to all, and before Christ Jesus, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate, that you obey this command without wavering. Then no one can find fault with you from now until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.
1st Timothy 6:12-14 NLT

The following lines are excerpts from Pastor Alan Neel's sermon...
  • There will always be a fight. We are not fighting flesh and blood; we are contending for our faith.
  • There is no "Golden Acres Retirement Center" here on Earth. 
  • THERE IS NO CONVENIENT CHRISTIANITY.
  • We better learn how to fight.
    • Discernment
    • Discipline 
      • 1st Timothy 4:7 "Train yourself..."
      • If you don't establish the right habits, by default you'll continually reinforce the bad habits. 
      • Quote by Dr. Gary Brothers, "Don't cause yourself more trouble than the trouble causes you."
    • Determination
  • We better learn how to win.
We are not moving to a place of rest here on Earth. That doesn't happen here. Here - we need to fight! 

Fight for our faith!

Fight for our children's faith!
Fight for our grandchildren's faith!

Like the Apostle Paul commanded, "Fight the good fight for the true faith."

The Finish Line is in sight! We can't slack off - we must win!

Prayer:

Father, 
          Today I pray as Scotty Smith prayed - for strength to do the next right thing, according to Your Word in Philippians 4:13. I can do all things through him who strengthens me...this verse has been underlined in my Bible, pasted on my refrigerator...But today I need it to be an active force in my life. Free me from the temptations of an “approval suck”. I don’t want to become aloof and callous, but neither do I want to be oversensitive to what people think... 

I need strength to deal with destructive choices of friends. Marriages, health, the hearts of children and Your glory are on the line. I need strength, Jesus, to get involved where frankly, I’d rather not. It would be much easier just to “pray from afar” than to run after prodigals, confront foolishness, and face anger. Strengthen me so that I will not wimp out. You pursued me, and You pursue me still. Likewise, be a persistent lover through me in these messy situations.

I need strength to seek You with fresh passion and delight; earnestness and anticipation. I never like it when I find it easier to watch TV than to meditate on the Scriptures. It’s not a good sign when exercising my body for vanity comes easier than exercising my heart for godliness. Renew my heart’s affection, adoration, and allegiance to You; for You alone are worthy of everything I am and have.

In Jesus’ Name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment