Tuesday, October 8, 2013

* Try It

I will tell of the Lord’s unfailing love. I will praise the Lord for all he has done. I will rejoice in his great goodness to Israel, which he has granted according to his mercy and love.
Isaiah 63:7 NLT


I don't know of anyone who has to "work at" grumbling. We don't have to remind ourselves to do it. We don't have to make ourselves write it down so we don't forget. Do you ever wonder why it is that mumbling and grumbling are easier for our human nature than an attitude of gratitude? 

It's an age-old dilemma. Is the glass half-full or half-empty? Or is it as engineers would reason, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be... Instead of grumbling that you needed to buy all new tires, thank God you had the money to buy them. There was a time you wouldn't have been able to afford them...

Gratitude truly IS an attitude. It CAN be developed. It CAN be adjusted or changed. We just need to look at life through the filter of the Life Giver.  I've been thinking about that old song today that Bing Crosby sang, "Count Your Blessings." Technically, it's not a Christian praise song, but then if you acknowledge that everything good comes from the Father (James 1:17), then counting your blessings IS praise. When I'm worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep, and I fall asleep counting my blessings. When my bankroll is getting small, I think of when I had none at all, and I fall asleep counting my blessings.

Try it...you'll like it...

Prayer:

Father,
          I will tell of Your unfailing love. I will praise You for all You have done. I will rejoice in Your great goodness to me, which You have granted according to Your mercy and love. And when given half a chance, I will tell others. Grant me the opportunity, Father. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment