Thursday, October 17, 2013

* Good All Over Again

My purpose in writing is to encourage you and assure you that what you are experiencing is truly part of God’s grace for you. Stand firm in this grace.
1st Peter 5:12b&c NLT

Letter writing is fast becoming a lost art. We live in the frenetic world of e-mail, texting and instant messages. Instantaneous communication in the briefest form. Why, even verbal communication has been greatly affected. When I get home, the first thing I do is go to the mailbox to see what’s come in. First priority is ALWAYS anything addressed by hand – which doesn't happen often, but it’s always the first thing I look for. Anything else is just stuff. 

A few years back, my sister had been going through old boxes at her house. In one, she found a letter addressed to my eldest brother, Ron, while he was in boot camp (I won’t tell you how long ago) and since I was stopping back by there on my way home from Missouri, I took it to him.  It turns out it was a letter from one of my other brothers who was 15 years old at the time of the writing. Ron had been gone 3 weeks and Joe had written him multiple pages, front and back, and it was a real treat to watch Ron read it and share the news as we marveled at the length of the letter written all those years ago. It was sweet and the love was tangible.

I thought about it a lot while driving back home on that trip. I have letters that I've kept for years and it made me want to pull them all out and read them again. They would be good all over again. They mean that much to me because the writer went ‘the extra mile’ to take the time to sit and write. Every time I think about it, it makes me want to sit down and write a letter to someone.

I was reminded about all the letters in the Bible. Think about this - they TRULY went the extra mile because they didn't have the pony express or the post office, either. I know they didn't have cyberspace and airwaves to send their missives, so they had to write it out, but I’m SO glad they did! Aren't you?

Doesn't it make you want to pull out the Word and read the letters again? They'll be good all over again.

Prayer:

Father,
         Thank You for Your written Word. Give us a fresh anointing to understand it and to share it with those in need of a good word. In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment