Sunday, October 6, 2024

Unanswered Questions

Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." " 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Mark 9:21-24 NIV

Our text comes from an interesting story about a child who was deaf and dumb. The father heard about Jesus and His ministry and was desperate to get help for his own son. His words are telling - "If you can do anything..." He believes what he's heard from the others - or at least partly; otherwise, he wouldn't be there. He wants to believe. His words reflect what's in his heart... "If you can..." But he's honest before Jesus. "Help me overcome my unbelief!" I read that verse the first time as a child and I've never forgotten it. I always wondered how he could say he believed and then ask for help because of his unbelief.

As a child, I just believed. As an adult, I understand his quandary. Perhaps that's why Christ said we must come as children...

Can you believe when you don't see? Can you continue to believe when you don't get what you want? What you think you need? Do you question God and/or His ability when you feel your prayers are unanswered? Can you follow - be a disciple - adhere to His Word when there is calamity? Chaos? Crises?

Job 13:15, reads, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him." Can you? Do you? Will you?

Prayer:

Father,
          There are many unanswered questions in our lives. In spite of them, You are trustworthy and You are faithful and You are God and we are not. This we know. We do believe; help us overcome our unbelief according to Your Word. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment