Saturday, September 7, 2024

Reminder - That's Easy for You to Say

And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.
1st John 2:3-6 NLT

Oh, the things we say we love - that song! That color! I love that movie! That TV show! Popcorn! I love the beach! The mountains! Ice cream! I love that guy (an actor or someone else we don't know) or I do NOT love him (or her)! You get the picture.

What does that love mean? How is it defined? It's not deep. It's not truly meaningful. It doesn't cost anything. It's easy.

It's NOT the love that God has called us to. It's NOT the love by which the world will know we are Christ-followers. It's not world-changing. It doesn't save lives. It doesn't require a personal investment of any kind. It doesn't take time or energy. There's no blood, sweat or tears involved at all.

We are called to love as Christ loved and gave Himself as a ransom for us. It's easy to look a friend or family member in the eye and say that they must walk in love. Yes, that's easy for you to say. It's a whole 'nother story when we are to live our lives as Jesus did. That we are to love as He loves. That's real love and it will cost you everything.

Prayer:

Father,
           We pray the words from the old song, "I'm going to live the way You want me to live. I'm going to give until there's just no more to give. I'm going to love, love till there's just no more love. I could never, never outlove You, Lord." We cannot do it without You, Father. Give us Your grace and Your strength to do exactly that. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment