Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Promise for Today - Such a Pain

Guest Author: Christopher Glotzbach
******************************
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28 NLT

What’s the deal with pain? I read once that pain is an incredible gift. But if we’re being honest… nobody wants to hear that.

Yet if we really stop and think about it, a life without pain could actually be dangerous.

Pain reveals.
Pain tells us when to stop.
Pain tells us when something is wrong.
Pain tells us when we’ve gone too far.

But sometimes, I think we misappropriate our pain. Often, we blame the wrong person. Sometimes I blame God for the pain in my life. Sometimes I blame other people. And if I’m really honest and willing to examine the situation, sometimes the pain is simply the result of my own choices, my own mistakes, or my own limitations.

For example:
A few months ago, I was at the gym attempting to do pull-ups. And because I’m not strong enough to do more than one pull-up, I have to use those elastic resistance bands.  And because I’m also apparently the least flexible person on the planet, I have a hard time getting out of those bands when I’m finished.

So picture this:
The band is fully stretched out, wrapped around my foot, and sitting at the bottom of my shoe. I finish my set, and I’m trying to get out of it. The band slips out from underneath my foot… …and SMACKS ME RIGHT IN THE FACE.

I was mad.  But more than anything, I was mad at the band. And then the Lord reminded me:
“The band is a tool. It didn’t hurt you.” And that got me thinking.

How often do I misappropriate pain onto God or onto other people when, in reality, the pain came from my own mistake? 

Now, I’m not saying all pain is like this. Some pain is completely outside of our control. Some pain comes from the brokenness of this world. Some pain is caused by the choices of other people. 
But sometimes… the thing I’m blaming for my pain is actually just the tool God is using to make me stronger. And maybe that’s why Scripture tells us to “consider it pure joy… whenever you face trials of many kinds” (James 1:2). Not because pain feels good. But because God can use even our pain to form us. 

So today, my prayer is:

God, 
       Help me not to blame the tool or the vehicle You are using in my sanctification. Help me see my circumstances accurately. Give me the humility to recognize when I’ve contributed to my own pain. Forgive me when I wrongly accuse You—or others—for pain that I have caused myself. And regardless of where my pain comes from, help me trust You. Help me hold on to You. Help me walk with You. And help me allow You to use even the painful things in my life to make me more like Jesus.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment