Monday, April 8, 2024

Disciplinary Action

God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:10b-11 NIV

It was only yesterday... just yesterday, after hearing Pastor Alan's sermon, that I earnestly prayed, "Father, I do NOT want to be critical, judgmental or prideful. I want to walk humbly with You, according to Your Word. Holy Spirit, please guide me, teach me. In Jesus' Name, I pray..." 

Oh, that all opportunities for answers to prayer would manifest so quickly!

An adverse situation came up at my day job that ultimately falls in my wheelhouse. I could have been angry that it happened. I could have come up with a half-dozen excuses... but before I got too far in the list of  'could haves', I heard the echo of yesterday's prayer in my heart. Father... I prayed again, thanking God for a change of heart, for the opportunity to walk in humility. It was not fun. It was hard. It was God's idea.

Micah 6:8 declares, He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? 

Humbling oneself isn't easy but it is right. It is righteous before the Lord. Within minutes of doing just that, the stress of it was gone from my spirit, and in its place was peace. Several times, the enemy attempted to bring up a "Yeah, but..." and by God's grace, I was able to thank God for answering my prayer and praise Him for teaching me... Thank You for loving us enough to restore a right Spirit within us. 

Prayer:

Father,
           According to Your Word, there is reward for walking in humility and holy fear of You. Thank You for Your Grace and mercy. Thank You for Your peace and for getting us through this day heart-whole. We are certain that You, who began this, will continue Your work in us until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. And it's in His Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment