Guest Author – Amber Lausch (In SOAP format: Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer)
***********************************
Scripture:
James 1:5 “..if any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
Observation:
James doesn’t say, “If you lack wisdom, try harder.” He says “ask God.”
There’s a difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is learning and wanting to know “all of the things.“ Wisdom tells us to ask, “God, what do You want me to do with this?”
God isn’t irritated because I don’t know what to do. He doesn’t look at me and say, “You should have figured this out already.” He invites me to keep asking again.
And He is a giving God.
Sometimes I think wisdom should be apparent - and LOUD - an answer we can’t miss. But often God gives us wisdom a little bit at a time. He guides us with what to say, and what not to say (although I know I don’t always listen). He tells us when to act, when to wait, what should be important to us, and what to put down.
Application
This hits me because I spend a lot of time trying to figure things out. Whether through research (mostly through research) or polling friends and family.
I’m a wife, mom, Lolli (grandmother), friend, organizer, problem-solver, people-pleaser, and the person people often come to when something needs to get handled. There always seems to be another decision, another person I want to help, another responsibility, another thing I could worry about, and I carry it willingly, and sometimes unfortunately. Funny enough, my husband ran several lunch suggestions by me on Monday, and I asked him to pick one. He said he didn’t know what I wanted. I told him anything was fine as long as I wasn’t tasked with making another decision because I didn’t have the capacity.
Otherwise, a lot of the time my instinct is: “Okay, how do I fix this?”
This verse is challenging, though. Instead of asking, “What am I going to do?” I want to start asking: “God, what is the wise thing to do?”
Not the fastest thing.
Not the thing that keeps everybody happy.
Not the thing that gives me the most control (and Lord knows I struggle with this)…
The wise thing!!
I need His wisdom in my marriage and family, in raising and loving my girls, in knowing when my grown children need my help and when they need room to make their own decisions, in friendships, in serving others, in all the little responsibilities I willingly (and unfortunately at times) pile onto my plate.
And I need wisdom to know the difference between something God is asking me to carry, and something I have decided is mine to FIX.
Today, before I react too quickly, worry, overthink, send a text, make a decision, or start trying to solve the problem myself, I want to pause long enough to ask: “Lord, give me Your wisdom here.” And then trust that He meant what He said: He will give it generously!
Prayer:
Father,
I know I don’t have to have all the answers. You know how quickly I slip into problem-solving mode and start carrying things as though everything depends on me. Give me wisdom.
Give me Your wisdom for my marriage, my children, my family, my friendships, my responsibilities, and the people You’ve placed in my life. Show me what needs my attention and what needs to be placed back into Your hands.
When I don’t know what to say, give me wisdom to speak, and please give me wisdom to stay quiet when I should. When I don’t know whether to step in or step back, please guide me. When anxiety makes everything feel urgent, help me recognize Your voice over the noise in my own head.
And Lord, teach me that asking You for wisdom doesn’t mean that I’m failing. It means that I’m learning to depend on You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment