Sunday, June 13, 2021

Simply Yourself

[Jesus] told his next story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people: "Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: 'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.' "Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'" Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."
Luke 18:9-14 The Message

...if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself. Only God can take nothing and make the nothing into something and even more... 

In one book I read, one of the women figured she was "ahead of the game" because she didn't drink, smoke or participate in whatever other sin du jour, and she tried to stay away from people who did. And lots of times, we get just like that. Comparing sins on a better than, worse than scale. "Well, at least I don't drink."  No, but in that case, we're guilty of judging.

Scripture is very clear about telling us to not think more highly of ourselves than we should. In fact, we're to always prefer the other guy more than ourselves.

...if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself.

Prayer:

Father,
           I want so much to be more than just me, but not by my own actions or words. Father, let my light so shine that people will see YOUR good works in and through me and will glorify You. For You are SO Worthy! In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment